Best Multitool – It seems that whenever there’s an issue, you just never have the right tool for it.
Well, that, in itself, can be a problem for an outdoor person bound to encounter difficulties during their outdoor adventures.
One thing’s for sure, though, you should take a look at multitools.
These handy contraptions hold even tinier contraptions within them that you’ll need daily.
Multitools come in several varieties that suit different lifestyles.
You’ll find that some options will suit your needs better than others.
In your search for the best multitool, feel free to explore our list of some of the top-performing multitools.
Table of Contents
Best Multitool Reviews
Wallet Ninja Multitool has Tools
The fact that the Wallet Ninja is a worldwide bestseller speaks for itself.
The wallet Ninja multitool is perfect for outfitting your wallet with a total of 18 useful everyday tools.
A completely flat product housing four screwdrivers, six wrenches, a cellphone stand, a can opener, a box cutter, a letter opener, a fruit peeler, a bottle opener, and two rulers.
Imagine having all these in a piece of square metal the size of a credit card.
If this doesn’t give you peace of mind, then we don’t know what will.
Quality and Usability:
The Wallet Ninja is TSA-approved and guaranteed to never dull, bend, or rust.
It’s perfect for carpenters, repair professionals, mechanics, boat owners, hobbyists, and other enthusiasts who just love living it up in the outdoors.
Wallet Ninja’s material is four times heat-treated steel, and it’s just a little bit thicker than two credit cards placed on top of each other.
This guarantees that it’ll hold a spot in any wallet.
Wallet Ninja Multitool Pro and Con
The Wallet Ninja Multitool is flat, compact, and extremely convenient.
With 18 tools that are great for everyday use, you’ll find the Wallet Ninja helpful in any situation, be it outdoors or indoors.
It’s made from quality steel that’s been heat-treated, so you’re granted high durability, too.
Anytime you need to pick, open, or measure something, all you have to do is take this multitool out of your wallet and choose which of its 18 useful tricks you want it to perform.
Or maybe you need a phone stand so that you can take a group picture with you included?
That’s easy; just use the stand feature!
We wouldn’t say that this is an awful thing, but for those who want to customize their Wallet Ninja, you’re out of luck because that’s just not happening.
We also wouldn’t advise that you carry this in any other place other than your wallet.
It could get tangled in some of the loose threads on your clothes and ruin them even more.
Wallet Ninja Multitool Pros:
- Thin, compact, and lightweight
- Contains 18 useful, everyday tools
- Completely flat and easily fits in your wallet
Wallet Ninja Multitool Cons:
- No customization option
- Not for carrying outside of the wallet
Gerber Suspension Multi-Plier
This is a compact, affordable tool that holds just the right features for your everyday outdoor needs.
It is comprehensive and addresses a lot of problems you may have daily.
One of its standout qualities is its durability.
You never have to worry about this contraption giving up on you even when it comes to the toughest tasks.
Gerber Suspension Multi-Plier Features
The things you’d expect from the Gerber Suspension Multitool include:
- Safety, Quality, and Functionality: This is one successful tool given the level of competition it has in this category. This multitool is so refined and delivers on function, construction quality, and ergonomics. It has 12 integrated components and a locking system to help guarantee safety.
- Portability: The Gerber Suspension Multi-Plier has an open frame handle made of incredibly lightweight stainless steel. This means it scores pretty high in terms of portability, too.
- Weather Protection: If you’re worried about the elements, then the product’s ballistic nylon sheath should ease your mind. This accessory protects your prized possession from the weather and keeps it working well for a long time.
- Material Used: With the Gerber Suspension Multi-Plier, you get the entire package; you get the strength and sturdiness of stainless steel and the precision engineering of Portland－the place known for constructing iron bridges that have stood the test of time. You can’t ask for more.
- Knives: When it comes to what this multitool can deliver, you’re going to be amazed. You have two choices for knives, a straight blade and a serrated one.
- Other Tools: For screwdrivers, you have a Phillips, as well as medium and large flatheads. It also has a dedicated wire stripper in case the situation calls for one. For pliers, you have the needle nose, which is the focal point of this tool and is designed to get you out of the toughest spots.
Gerber Suspension Multi-Plier Pro and Con
Anyone who loves going on adventures will find the Gerber Suspension Multi-Plier a godsend.
It’s heavy-duty and compact, as well can fit right in the pocket of your jeans.
It even has a sheath to protect it from the elements, which we expect it’s going to be exposed to during the many times you take it out into the wilderness.
The Suspension is ideal for the jungle.
If you love experiencing the wild, bringing as little from the civilized world as possible, then the clothes on your back and this exceptional contraption will do.
Your clothes can keep you warm while your multitool protects you from everything else the wild dishes out.
If multitools that are a bit on the heavy side bother you, then the Gerber Suspension Multi-Plier is probably going to bother you, as well.
It’s certainly not the heaviest of its category, but it could still feel heavy and bulky in your jean pocket.
Gerber Suspension Multi-Plier Pros:
- Protective sheath
- Made of high-quality steel
Gerber Suspension Multi-Plier Con:
- Heavy and bulky
Gerber Dime Mini Multi-Tool
Let us first point out how we love the fact that this one comes in a variety of colorways that include black, green, purple, red, red with gray, purple with gray, and green with gray.
Even more impressive than that is its smart stainless steel design.
This is just the companion you’re looking for on your trip to the outdoors.
Gerber Dime Mini Multi-Tool Features
Gerber Dime Mini has a lot of features to offer, including:
- Construction: The state-of-the-art stainless steel construction is definitely a standout feature of the Gerber Dime Mini Multi-Tool. Coupled with its lightweight and compact size, then you have a product in the running for the best multitool of 2020. It’s accessible and can easily fit inside anyone’s pocket.
- Tools: The tool packs a file, tweezers, a crosshead driver, a bottle opener, scissors, a medium flat driver, a package opener, needle nose pliers, a fine-edge blade, and a wire cutter. Those are 10 tools to make most of your everyday worries go away.
- Usability: The concept behind the Gerber Dime Mini Multi-Tool is simple: always be prepared. You never know what’s going to happen, but it doesn’t really matter when you have this tool. You’re going to be ready, regardless.
Gerber Dime Mini Multi-Tool Good and Bad
For people who want to be ready all the time, the Gerber Dime Mini Multi-Tool has got your back.
The best thing about this product is that while it seems like a heavy and bulky tool, it’s actually the opposite.
It’s compact and lightweight with heavy-duty functions.
This combination not only makes the dime mini distinct, but it’s also the reason it stands out in what has been an excellent year for multitools.
The only bad thing about this multitool would probably be its lack of features.
While all ten tools function at an optimal level, we can’t deny that some people just love having plenty more options to choose from.
Gerber Dime Mini Multi-Tool Pros:
- Compact and lightweight
- Easily accessible
- Sturdy stainless steel design
Gerber Dime Mini Multi-Tool Con:
- 10 tools may not be enough for some people
LEATHERMAN Wingman Multitool
Conquer life daily and be ready for anything with the help of this exceptional tool.
Anytime you need to do projects around the house, at the campsite, or work, this multitool can help you do things right.
LEATHERMAN Wingman Multitool Features
The key features of the Leatherman Wingman are:
- Functionality: This multitool scores high on the functionality aspect with 14 optimally functioning tools for everyday scenarios. You have a wire stripper, wire cutters, a knife, screwdrivers, pliers, a ruler, a file, a package opener, and can and bottle openers.
- Ease of Use: Sometimes, when you’re in the thick of things, it can be challenging to get both your hands available. The best-case scenario is that you have one hand to reach into your pocket to grab this tool for whatever purpose you have for it. That’s great because you’re only going to need just one hand to operate it, too!
- Safety: Its blade also locks in place so you won’t have to worry about accidentally cutting yourself or another person.
- Ease of Access: Accessibility is key with the LEATHERMAN Wingman Multitool. One of the reasons this multitool is among the top performers is because of how easy it is to access. All you need to do is reach within your pocket.
- Pocket Clip: Plus, you also have the removable pocket clip to ensure the tool doesn’t move around too much or falls off as you’re running or hiking.
LEATHERMAN Wingman Multitool Good and Bad
This is just an overall great tool to have whether or not you love being in the outdoors.
You’ll find a host of things the LEATHERMAN Wingman Multitool would be ideal for that can simply be done in your home.
If you’re fond of doing projects and even helping your kids out with theirs, then you could definitely find a liking for this multitool.
The design for the LEATHERMAN Wingman Multitool is such that you’re barely able to use the ruler.
It makes you question why it’s even there in the first place.
As for the screwdrivers, they’re good quality for sure and also function very well, but what we’d like to see is the locking mechanism integrated into these parts.
LEATHERMAN Wingman Multitool Pros:
- Scissors are the best feature
- Incredibly useful package opener
- Top-notch spring-loaded pliers
- Functional and practical
LEATHERMAN Wingman Multitool Con:
- You’re not actually able to use all the tools
ProMaster Multitool Knife
Whether you’re a regular homeowner navigating through life’s everyday struggles or a hardcore explorer trying to make their way through the jungle, you’re going to find this tool beneficial.
ProMaster Multitool Knife Features
The ProMaster boasts a lot of great features, such as:
- Functionality: If you’re looking to up your level of disaster preparedness, then the ProMaster Multitool Knife is the tool for you. From the minor disasters that make up our daily lives to the major ones that need to be handled with care and expertise, this multitool has got your back. All of its fifteen features will show you that life, both in the wilderness and at home, is never too hard when you have the right equipment.
- Knife Set: This tool’s main feature is the sturdy pocket knife. You get an entire set along with a sheath holder to ensure that everything is protected. This product was designed with the toughest outdoor person in mind, so there is no way it’s ever going to give up on you.
- Other Tools: Included in this 15-in-1 tool is a fish scaler, a ruler, Phillips screwdrivers, small and big screwdrivers, a bottle opener, a sharp knife, a folding saw, a can opener, a double-sided nail file, a hook remover, regular pliers, a wire cutter, and needle-nose pliers.
ProMaster Multitool Knife Good and Bad
You will love how the ProMaster Multitool Knife meets all of your needs for such a low price.
Whether you’re looking for an adventure or just trying to do a home project, you can always rely on this tool to make things easier.
It fits conveniently inside your pocket and doesn’t feel heavy or bulky at all.
The quality of the main tools is up there, for sure, but sadly this doesn’t apply to the sub tools, which are really just substandard.
After a few uses, the driver tips just get worn out easily.
Plus, locking can be an issue.
ProMaster Multitool Knife Pros:
- 15 useful everyday tools
- Exceptional knife set
- Protective sheath
ProMaster Multitool Con:
- Secondary tools are substandard
Best Multitools Buyer’s Guide
You’re probably itching to buy your very own multitool now that you’ve gone through our roundup of this year’s best.
However, it’s important to note that as with purchasing any other product that’s new to you, further research is needed.
You’ll want to know about certain considerations that must be made before buying a multitool; all of which can be found on this guide.
Knife Blade Quality
The main feature in our multitools today is the knife.
Generally, that’s almost always the case. As such, you need to make sure the knife or knives in your product cut cleanly and precisely.
It’s highly likely that the knife will be the most used tool in your multitool regardless of whether you use it indoors or outdoors.
There are just countless more situations where a pocket knife could be more useful than a screwdriver, for instance.
Number of Tools
They say the more tools, the better, but this isn’t always the case.
The number of tools a product has would hardly matter if most of those tools were low-quality or didn’t function well.
You’ll also want to choose a multitool that packs tools you’re actually going to need daily.
The product can have great tools that justify its high price, but if you won’t use them all, you wouldn’t be getting good value for your money.
Quality of Tools
Quality over quantity, always. More than the number of tools your product offers, you should be focusing on the quality of its tools.
Make sure they are made from quality material and actually help you perform a task more efficiently.
Durability is also something you need to look for in your tools. You want your multitool to remain useful for many years.
Best Multitool Price
Generally, the more optimally functioning tools a multitool has, the more expensive it is.
In your case, you have to figure out if the price of a multitool is worth having access to the number of quality tools it has.
Are all the tools functioning at an optimal level?
Is there a cheaper version that’s just as good?
You may want to ask yourself these questions before making a decision.
Best Multitool FAQs
What Is in a Multitool?
A multitool can pack a variety of tools to meet different lifestyles, situations, and purposes.
It’s a tool that can be used by people going about their days at home or office, or in search of adventure in the wilderness.
Even teenagers going to summer camp will find multitools incredibly useful for treks and challenges.
Whether on land or in the water, this product never lets you down.
A multitool’s main feature is the knife.
Some of the modern ones now have different types of pliers and screwdrivers to make them more functional.
Manufacturers have since added the package opener feature to the delight of homeowners everywhere.
Based on our list, some of the best quality products can hold anywhere from 10 to 18 tools, all optimally functioning and designed to meet everyday needs in the best possible way.
Who Invented the Multitool?
The man behind the multitool is none other than the founder of the LEATHERMAN brand, Tim Leatherman.
It was actually he and Steve Berliner who formed the Leatherman Tool Group in the 1980s.
Tim earned his degree in mechanical engineering in the year 1970.
Five years after and after traveling across Europe and the Middle East with his wife while carrying only a simple pocket knife that they had to use to repair their vehicle along with the hotel plumbing repeatedly, he designed what was known as the boy scout’s knife with pliers.
In the year 1980, Tim was finally able to patent “Mr. Crunch”.
His product later took on the name “Pocket Survival Tool” before it was sold in 1983.
A year after this breakthrough, in 1984, his company hit the goldmine by successfully selling close to 30,000 units.
Can You Bring a Multitool on a Plane?
As much as we want our travels through airports to be as smooth as possible, that rarely ever seems to be the case.
Don’t expect multitools to improve the situation for you, though, as most of them will probably still end up being confiscated by security.
But still, multitools remain as some of the most highly versatile tools you can carry with you, and being without them just makes you feel unequipped.
The best way to navigate this situation is to choose a multitool that is TSA-friendly, like the Wallet Ninja.
This way, you can fly without needing to tuck away your favorite item in your luggage.
What Can I Do with a Multitool?
One of the reasons it’s called a multitool is that you can use it for a multitude of things.
We’re not even exaggerating when we say there are a ton of problems that can be solved using a multitool.
You can open cans, cut wires, open a package, tighten a loose screw, unscrew a screw, file your nails, unscrew nuts and bolts, and so much more.
There is no limit to the possibilities of how a multitool can help you on an everyday basis, and even when you’re out trying to survive the wilderness.
That’s how remarkable this product is.
Best Multitools Review
All of the multitools we reviewed did very well in most departments.
Most of them had excellent knife quality, packed high-quality tools, and came at relatively affordable prices.
All of them, for sure, had enough tools to be functional for both indoor and outdoor purposes.
Quite surprisingly, it wasn’t “high numbers” that claimed the prize of the best multitool－it only had ten tools, which was the least among the products on our list.
The Gerber Dime Mini Multi-Tool won because everything about it was high-quality.
It had a smart and compact steel design, was super lightweight that it made it easy for anyone to carry it in their pockets, came in a variety of colorways, and had ten tools made of sturdy, high-quality material.
More than that, every single one of its tools functioned at an optimal level.
It is also guaranteed to do so for many years without rust or corrosion.
There is never any doubt that this is the winner.