Rural Living Today is simply a place to learn how to do things.
We talk about how to grow veggies, raise livestock, cook with cast iron, and do other “homesteady” things.
We are all about cooking from scratch – homesteader style.
We write comprehensive reviews on kitchen equipment that makes our lives a bit easier as well as sharing tips, recipes, and great ideas for food preparation, cooking, and preserving the harvest.
Over the years, we have found many different resources and products that have helped us on our rural living journey.
Here we have listed just a few of them, and we hope you will find some helpful new favorites among them.
Resources to Learn Homesteading Skills, Homesteading Products, Tools and Equipment
Here are a few products that we heartily endorse – things that make it a little easier to live rural, whether it’s a kitchen appliance, instructional book, or website.
Homesteading Product Reviews: Honda EM6500S Generator
Read our in-depth reviews on Backup Generator:
Tools and Equipment for Farm and Garden
- Mantis Tillers
- Best LED Grow Lights
- Trailer Winches
- Tractor Cart
- GreenWorks Lawn Mower
- Shop vac
- Air compressors
- Wood working Tools
- Hedge trimmers
- Rotor Tillers
- Wood Splitters
Durable clothing for outdoor chores
Food Preparation and Preservation
- Ninja Kitchen System
- Ninja Pulse Blender
- Excalibur Dehydrator
- FoodSaver Vacuum Sealer
- Dutch Cheese Press
Review of the Best Survival Knives So You Can Survive
Survival Knife Buyers Guide So You Survive Extreme Environments
Survival Kit for The Ka-Bar Survival Knife
Ka-Bar Becker BK7 Knife Review and Field Test
Misc Homesteading Items and Books
University of Massachusetts Soil Testing Lab: just mail in your sample and payment, receive a report by email–no matter where you live.
- The Year-Round Vegetable Gardener by Niki Jabbour (Read our review here.)
- Homegrown Herbs by Tammi Hartung (Read our review here.
- The Fruit Gardener’s Bible by Lewis Hill and Leonard Perry (Read our review here.)
- The Vegetable Gardener’s Bible by Edward C. Smith
- Storey’s Guide to Raising Pigs by Kelly Klober (Read our review here.)
- The Backyard Homestead Guide to Raising Farm Animals edited by Gail Damerow (Read our review here.)
- The Backyard Cow by Sue Weaver (Read our review here.)
- How to Move to the Country by Patrice Lewis (Read our review here.)
- The Backyard Homestead by Carleen Madigan (Read our review here.)
- Your Custom Homestead by Jill Winger (Read our interview here.)
- Storey’s Basic Country Skills by John & Martha Storey (Read our review here.)
- Any Storey Publishing books including Storey’s Guides
- The Encyclopedia of Country Living by Carla Emery
- Any Joel Salatin books, including:
- Living with Wildlife/Landscaping for Wildlife by Russell Link
Pioneer- and early west-era novels often have descriptions of how life really was in days gone by, and one can learn a lot by reading about everyday life.
Some of these are great for giving kids an idea of the self-sufficient lifestyle.
(*Items also have TV series or movies based on the books.)
- Centennial* by James Michener
- Little House on the Prairie series* by Laura Ingalls Wilder
- Lonesome Dove series* by Larry McMurtry
- Louis L’Amour books* : Many describe pioneer life, trapping, foraging, and ranching/farming. Movies include Sackett series.
- Love Comes Softly series* by Janette Oke
- Red River and Dakota Plains series by Lauraine Snelling
- My Side of the Mountain by Jean Craighead George (Bethany’s favorite!)
- Our own Rural Living Insider! (Subscription form to the right)
- Backwoods Home www.backwoodshome.com
- Countryside www.countrysidemag.com
- GRIT www.grit.com
- Hobby Farms www.hobbyfarms.com
- Living the Country Life www.livingthecountrylife.com
- Mother Earth News www.motherearthnews.com
Links to OUR FAVORITE BLOGS, WEBSITES AND RESOURCES
- National Cooperative Extension site www.extension.org
- Your local county Cooperative Extension pages–find yours here: https://www.usda.gov
- Chris Martenson www.ChrisMartenson.com
- Common Sense Homesteading www.CommonSenseHome.com
- Frugally Sustainable www.FrugallySustainable.com
- Hillbilly Housewife www.HillbillyHousewife.com
- Home on the Range www.MausersandMuffins.blogspot.com
- Little House in the Suburbs www.LittleHouseintheSuburbs.com
- The Prairie Homestead www.PrairieHomestead.com
- Preparing Your Family www.PreparingYourFamily.com
- DIY Kitchen Design
- Where to go Honeymooning
- Backyard Chickens www.backyardchickens.com
- Backyard Herds www.backyardherds.com
- Farm Dreams www.farm-dreams.com
- Homesteading Today www.homesteadingtoday.com
Rural property development
Could you use some help planning the development of raw land or renovation of an old farm?
We has more than thirty-five years of experience in developing properties ranging from city lots to large acreages.
You can learn more about services here. Have more questions?